Sometimes we ever do something which is out of our control, for example deleting the Whatsapp messages unintentionally. When we want to read the history of all chats, we can’t do that, because when we scroll up the screen, the old messages have disappeared and we can’t see and read it anymore. So, the question is, can we restore all deleted messages in our Whatsapp? The answer is yes, we can.
Something that we need to know that Whatsapp doesn’t keep or save our chat history because it aims to protect and respect your privacy. But it doesn’t mean that you can’t restore the old messages into your Whatsapp. Some devices like android and iPhone even have a system that can back up your chat in your whatsapp so that you can restore those old chats in easy way. But today, we will discuss about how to restore those old chats via the Whatsapp itself.
Steps to Restore the Whatsapp Messages in Android
I use android device in this tutorial, so if you have an Android smartphone, you can follow my instruction below. As I have told you, some smartphones have their own settings for backup. They usually keep those backup files in internal memory.
There are some steps to restore your Whatsap messages which you have deleted in your android device.
The first one, using Recent backup
- Uninstall WhatsApp
- After that, reinstall the whatsapp in your android again
- Login as usual by using your phone number, enter the code sent by the admin and then you will be directed into your account.
- There will be a session where you will be asked to restore your previous chats. Choose “Restore” to get all previous messages in your whatsapp.
- Wait for some moment, the restore process is undergoing.
- Your old chats have been restored.
This step is so easy indeed, but some notes need to be read. The first one, your phone number should be the same with the phone number that you have used to backup before, the second one, you need to know if you never backup your chat in your device, the restore process cannot restore your old messages.
Whatsapp usually does a backup for 7 days, more than 7 days, all old messages will be automatically deleted by their system.
– First, establish a backup chat for your whatsapp by going to Settings > Chats and Calls > Back up Chat, and then backup will be changed into msgstore.db.crypt8 on /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. Save this file and rename it as msgstore.db.crypt8.current to ease you in the future.
Steps to Restore
- Uninstall WhatsApp
- Choose the backup file and find out the directory on /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases
- Rename from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt8 into msgstore.db.crypt8
- Reinstall WhatsApp
- Choose Restore when you are asked.